- Posted by Val
- On February 11, 2015
- 0 Comments
- behaviour, change, coaching
The wonderful thing about coaching is it’s flexibility to adapt to the situation of the person being coached. What makes coaching different from other human behaviour interventions is that, it is more focused on your future goals, rather than your past mistakes. This positions strengths coaching in a very critical season of every human being – change.
While some would embrace change easily, it is natural for most people to resist change in their lives. The list provided for by a textbook* I’m reading, outlines the top 7 reasons why people resist change (i.e. at work):
1. You fear new things. The natural feeling of being suspicious with all things new to you. New things that would upset your existing routines (beliefs?). Sometimes you’re also suspicious of the motives of the people or things that is causing the change- sometimes it may even be yourself.
2. Economic fear. You fear the possible loss of money or threats to your source of income.
3. Inconvenience. You resist change that you think would make life more difficult for you.
4. Uncertainty. You worry about what impact the change would bring. This happens specially if the effect of the change is unknown.
5. You have symbolic fears. The fear of losing something you treasure that may symbolize power, wealth or something similar: a parking lot, a nice office, a car.
6. You feel it’s a threat to your relationships.
7. You feel it reduces your work status, or your social status. You may also feel like the change would make your skills or talents suddenly obsolete or unwanted.
8. You don’t feel competent. You doubt your ability to cope (technically or otherwise) with the demands of the change.
Some say that “knowing is half the battle”. In this case, I say, indeed. Albeit not an exhaustive list, this outlined possible starting points where you can verify, and plan to address the reasons why you feel resistive of the change. Specially if you know in yourself that the change is needed.
Coaching can very much help you dissect these reasons and help you figure out ways to address them, one by one.
Are you resisting a much needed change lately? What are the reasons you resist this change?